We are always glad to welcome visitors to our services and encourage you to visit with us during the social hour afterward. Please take any information pamphlets that interest you. We suggest you visit several times since each service is different. Dress at services is always informal, and ample parking is available near the building.
ORDER OF SERVICE
Normally, Sunday services involve a lay leader, one of our two ministers, and pianist. Services typically include the following components, interspersed with a hymn or responsive reading from the UU hymnal Singing the Living Tradition:
- Call to worship, with piano prelude
- Opening words/reading
- Joys and Sorrows**
- Chalice lighting with unison reading printed in the order of service
- Welcome & Announcements
- Meditation in words and silence
- Sermon or talk
- Sharing of responsibility (offering)
- Extinguishing chalice with unison reading printed in order of service
*In addition to announcements about church-related activities, announcements may be made about non-political community and cultural events/performances in which congregation members are involved. To relay information about a political event or primarily commercial enterprise, please do NOT make an announcement during the service, but instead bring printed materials to leave on the table by the kitchen to be shared and discussed individually during coffee hour.
**One way we acknowledge the interconnected web that joins us as a community is to share both the special joys that touch our hearts and the sorrows that bring us pain. If you have a joy or sorrow, you are invited to come forward at this point in the service, choose a stone and share your thoughts before placing the stone in the basin of water.
Throughout the year, we hold seasonal events and services that have become traditions for the Unitarian Congregation of Taos.
- July: Independence Day Picnic
- November 6: Day of the Dead Altar Service
- December 4: New Member Recognition
- December: Christmas Eve, Holiday Music Service, Many Traditions Service
We meet each Sunday at the Masonic Lodge at 11:00 a.m.